Wednesday 22 April 2015

A soft glow in the dark...


Set a poem within a story you have read.
Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

(detail from an art journal page)

Softly glowing
In darkness we lay.
In silence we fear.
A blade that can slay
by my hand laying near.
It beckons to me
through the dark and the stink.
Too frightened to move,
Too exhausted to think.
Your soft subtle glow
warns of danger, not trust.
But to escape from this place,
touch you I must....

This could fit in many places within Tolkien's books, but I am often drawn back to a section not covered in the movies, when the hobbit's wake up inside a Barrow. (not even sure if I'm remembering properly...read it to my eldest when he was just 7 {now 25}. Must re-read that section)
:D XXX
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Very cool point to place your poem. You get the the weariness and desperation of that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool point to place your poem. You get the the weariness and desperation of that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, Gina. Captures the moment perfectly. That part was one of the scariest parts of the Fellowship. :-o

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seductive, speaks of indecisiveness to me and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, how perfectly evocative of that chapter. Your memory serves you well, by coincidence I just read "Fog on the Barrow-Downs" last night! It always scares me, no matter how many times I've read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mood, like you said, fits many parts of the story: the danger that must be face anyway. And yes, you remembered just fine.

    I love the subtle eeriness, by the way. It communicates the fright and the excitement and the obligation... so well.

    ReplyDelete