Monday 22 August 2016

One from the Grave...


Sharing this piece from many years ago for this weeks
Dash of Sunny Prompt night 
"Let's gather around for a ghost story"





ALONE


On cliff top waiting, the sea spray washing tears away.
A glimpse of sail is all I crave.
How many days have I spent, hoping, praying?
When, if ever, will this torment end?

He was only supposed to be away for a month. Just a short trip this time.
That was over a year ago now.

I know that men are notoriously bad timekeepers, but annoyance was replaced by fear many months back.

My first thought had been,"How could he be so casual about our forthcoming nuptials?"
My next had been, "What could have delayed him so?"
My third had been actions rather than words, and so, I raced to the cliff top, calling, shouting, sobbing. My cries answered only by those of the seabirds, circling above and below.

How cruel is life?

I promised to wait for him, but what of his promise to me?
He said he would be back. He told me to prepare for his return. So the dress hangs from my shoulders still.
They want me to give in to the obvious, but how can I?
The date twice come and gone, yet I wait, alone.

Others would have turned their backs months ago, but I am proud.
A promise is a promise, open ended. No "until"s or "unless"s were mentioned between us.

So I have waited, am waiting, will wait.
That's how it is taught in school. Past, Present, Future. He is all these things to me.

I hear people talking as I pass by. They think that I am loosing my mind....maybe I should change my dress? After all, it could do with a little repair work around the hem. It wouldn't do to turn up at the alter in rags now would it?
But it feels like a betrayal of trust. He told me to be ready!

I hear people calling,shouting, crying out!

"HE HAS RETURNED!!"

I race to the churchyard to meet him.
The flowers are just beautiful....and the words on our headstone are being altered...

"HERE LIES TRUE LOVE"
"NO LONGER ALONE"

Enjoy XXX
Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. Ah Gina - brilliant as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree brilliant, enchanting and beautiful.
    Hugs June x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whistles!! My goodness Gina, this is such a tender and heartfelt response to the prompt ❤️❤️ I guess it's safe to state that true love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about and but only a few of them have actually seen. Beautifully penned. Thank you so much for participating at Prompt Nights and for your constant love and support ❤️❤️

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful, heartfelt and so unique for this prompt..yes, brilliant..

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Gina, your tale has chilled me to the bone. The pacing and suspense are superb, your artwork incredible, and the ending... Well, that ending is just perfect. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely story poem. I would love to hear it set to music, it feels so much like a classic ballad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a beautiful, moving story!!! Love your art work too Gina!!

    ReplyDelete